Updates

Has anyone had difficulty with trying to update? I have been trying but am getting a cannot connect to server message.

I have been watching for one since they said there was a new one to be pushed out after the training but it always says it is up to date. So unless it already updated when I didn’t notice, I haven’t found it.

Hello

I think there was some confusion when it was announced that there would be an update coming. Thanks to our partners at on the CATT team, all Monarchs were updated prior to you all arriving. We were planning for possibly needing to do this on-site or after, but the team was able to do the updates prior to the training.

It is our hope to push out the next update in April time frame.

We very much appreciate your early work with the Monarch.

Best regards

Greg

Thank you for letting us know. I was also seeing that mine is up to date. I will keep an eye out for an April update.

@mfish - here’s the info on the update. It will probably be out in April and ours were already updated in January at ATIA.

Hello friends.

We are just putting the final release notes together for the update discussed at the recent trainings. I was hoping to have this out today but we will push it tomorrow, May 3rd. This is why I’m not a fan of dates. :slight_smile: I will send out release notes and a notification when it goes live over WIFI.

Thank you

Greg

3 Likes

Hi all

The version has gone live this morning. Just a reminder, to update the devices, you simply need to connect the Monarch to WIFI.

The steps to connect to WIFI are:

• Enter with Q to open quick settings
  • Press enter on Network and internet
  • Navigate to the “Internet,” option and press enter
  • Find your network and press enter
  • If it requires a password, type it in computer braille. Reminder capital letters are created with adding dot 7 with the letter. @ is made with dot 7 and dot 4. _ is dots 456.
  • Press enter when done, and your device should show “Connected,” next to your network name.

You should receive a notification that an update is available and you should select Install. If you don’t see the notification, you can force it to look for the update by doing the following:

• From the main menu navigate to the All Applications item and press enter.
  • Press K repeatedly until you get to the KeyUpdater option and press enter.
  • In a couple seconds you should see that there is an update available.

We are excited to see how this update improves yours and your students experiences with the Monarch. Please send over feedback here or contact me at gstilson@aph.org or jmartin@aph.org

Thank you for all your feedback and support!

Happy Updating.

Version 1.0 Release Notes:

Startup Tutorial:
• Included a new application created by American Printing House.
• Under all applications, a new item called Startup Tutorial can be launched.
• The Tutorial will launch at first boot
• Not available if you select Spanish or French system language

System Languages
• Additional Languages added.
• At first boot or after a factory reset, you can select the system language
• Available languages include English, Spanish and French.

Tactile Viewer
• UX change when using TGIL
• Upon selecting a tactile graphic from TGIL, the tactile graphic will open directly up, instead of giving the choices to save or view.
• To save the image, press Space + S, or use the context menu.
• Changed Filters name

User Guide
• Added an item called User Guide under all applications.
• The User guide is currently the command summary
• Will open using Victor Reader

Samples folder
• All previous samples stored in downloads have now been moved to a new folder called ‘Samples folder’
• This includes tactile graphics and braille files as samples

Victor Reader
• EPUB books can now be imported
• Select import book from the Victor Reader menu

• Significant improvements to Victor Reader when reading books. Panning now should function correctly when you complete a print page or chapter.

General
• Modified Speech rate increments.
o Now set from 0% to 100%.
o Increments of 5%
• TTS feedback added when changing line spacing with the zoom-in and zoom-out keys
• Recovery Menu is now accessible in Braille
• Cleaned the Miscellaneous menu.
o Created a new menu item called Braille and Navigation

Bug fixes
• Modified the format of the system build number.
• When connecting a monitor, Audio will be routed to Monarch if Speakers are not available.
• Fixed menu actions in context menu that was not working
• KeyWord – Fixed when coming back from a preview invoked, not returning in edit mode
• Fixed Eject storage not working
• When performing the drive selection command, the title was not read
• In some instances first-letter navigation required two attempts
• When opening a document in KeyBrf we get a notification ‘Load complete’
• KeyMath – Some types of calculation results are not translated correctly
• User can now lock the Monarch with a Password. (Security/Screen lock)
• Victor Reader – When opening a book, the focus is not always at the top
• Fixed many accessibility focus issues
• Victor Reader – It is not possible to click on an image using the point-and-click.
• KeyWord – Bullet points in a Word document cause NullPointerExceptions
• Multiline breaks when using a USB thumb drive

I am getting update failed. Is this because of my network or is there something that I need to do?

This often happens during the validation of the downloaded package. If there was an issue with the network during download, you can see this failed message. I recommend pressing your square button to open your app switcher and close KeyUpdater with a backspace with dots 2-3-5-6. Then reopen the KeyUpdater app and redownload.

I think it was a weak wifi signal. I tried it at a different location and it worked great.

Update successful!

2 Likes

We saw that it needed an update Friday when I was finishing with my student so we did it today. He loved the tutorial and really enjoyed going through it even though he is familiar and loved the find the butterfly activity. Such joy he had!

1 Like

Hi Greg,
I am connected to my WiFi. I have excellent signal strength but limited connectivity. When I use the KeyUpdater it says that I cannot connect to the server. Could you please help?
Thank you,
Camilla

Hello

Is this your personal WIFI? If so I would recommend pressing enter on your connection in the list and choosing to forget the network. After forgetting the network, I would try reconnecting. If it’s your personal network this should work fine. Let us know if this doesn’t work and we can look elsewhere.

Thanks

~WRD0000.jpg

Yes, this is my home network. I forgot the network then connected again and am still getting the limited connectivity message. My Monarch still has limited connectivity with excellent signal strength and will not connect to the server.

Hi Camilla

This is strange but points to a bug in the software we’ve seen very rarely. To solve this I would suggest factory resetting your Monarch. This will erase any personal files that have been created but will regenerate the demo graphics that the device comes with. To factory reset do the following:

• Press Enter with Q from the main menu to open quick settings (Enter + dots 1-2-3-4-5)
  • Type S repeatedly until you get to “System,” and press enter.
  • Type an R to jump to “Reset Options,” and press enter.
  • First you could choose the first option, “Reset WIFI, Mobile, and Bluetooth.” This could fix your issue right off the bat.
  • Once you do this, exit back to the main menu and try to connect to your WIFI.- If this doesn’t work, back in that Reset options list, navigate down to the “Erase all data, Factory Reset,” option and press enter.
  • Confirm a couple times and the device will power off. After it powers off, simply power it back on and the Monarch will boot as if it was the first time someone is using it out of the box.
  • Connect to your WIFI and hopefully this solves it for you.

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Hi Greg,
Thank you so much!!! The factory reset was the magic.
I have now been able to up date my Monarch.
Thank you again,
Camilla

Has anyone seen the chess game that is supposed to be coming out? I completed the last update but I have not seen it. Just wondering. Thanks.

Hi Christina,
I am glad you are excited to see the chess game, but I do not believe it is included with the latest updates. @jmartin is there a timeframe for the release of chess?