Terminal Mode not Working

Having trouble getting the Chameleon to control the paired device, an iPhone. Tried before and after a software update was completed. We’ve tried with Voice Over on and off. Checked in Settings and confirmed, Wifi ON, Selected the SSDI for the iPhone. Signal strength - excellent. Then, followed the steps in the module for Terminal Mode. When we get to the step where the refreshable display says :“braille display”, the only thing we can do is exit to home. It won’t scroll, or pan, or select/enter.

Any suggestions? Operator head space error? Device software compatibility issue?

I would be curious to know if it works with a different device. Have you tried a different iPhone or iPad? VoiceOver does need to be running. Did you go through accessibility settings on the iPhone to make sure it was connected there?

I had the same issue with mine. I became frustrated and left it alone and all of a sudden… it started working! Maybe give it a few minutes to read “braille display” and then see if it works. You do have to have Voice Over on for it to work. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. I had the same experience. It didn’t work when following the steps in the training module and the next time I turned on the hot stop and tried to connect to Wi-Fi it connected automatically. I still don’t know how to enter a Wi-Fi password that has numbers, not just letters.

Thanks again,
Nancy

I did. It didn’t work when following the steps in the training module, with any device, but the next time I turned on the hot stop and tried to connect to Wi-Fi it connected automatically. I still don’t know how to enter a Wi-Fi password that has numbers, not just letters. I believe you said to use computer braille and a user told me to use the th sign in computer braille instead of a number sign with Nemeth numbers. Do you also need to use letter signs when a letter follows a number in the password when since there is no spaces? I believe I tried switching the device to computer braille too, did I need to?

strange! Yes, changing to computer braille should help.
Here are some computer braille tips
• All text is uncontracted (grade 1) braille
• No number signs are used
• All numbers are dropped (“Nemeth-style,” typed in the lower part of the braille cell)
• Add dot 7 (Backspace key) to a letter to capitalize it
• The cursor in computer braille fields is dot 8 rather than dots 78

“At” sign @ dots 74
Period or dot . dots 46
Colon : dots 156
Semicolon ; dots 56
Hyphen dash - dots 36
Underscore _ dots 456
Plus + dots 346
Exclamation ! dots 2346
Number/pound # dots 3456
Dollar $ dots 1246