Introductions!

Hello! :slight_smile:
My name is Claire Duvnjak. I am an itinerant Teacher of the Visually Impaired from Phoenix Arizona. I serve the downtown Phoenix area through the Foundation for Blind Children. I am an instructor in our Sports, Habilitation, Art, and Recreation Program (SHARP) as well.

I am very passionate about literacy for our students! I am an avid reader myself and I am always reading one audiobook and one print book at any given time!

2 Likes

Hello! I’m Lisa Traynor. I’m a CTVI/COMS/OTR from Missouri. I work with several rural school districts.

3 Likes

Good evening. I am Katrina Oliver Thomas. In addition to being an ELA TBVI certified in Secondary Ed, I am also a self-published author. I currently finishing up my 3rd year at the Georgia Academy for the Blind. I taught at the Alabama School for the Blind for four years prior to that. I also have GenED cert as I worked in public school the first six years of my teaching career. I am also adding a reading endorsement to my Georgia teaching certificate. However, teaching reading and teaching braille reading are not the same. I need to know how to teach braille reading as well. I am excited to be a part of a community of fellow teachers of the blind and visually impaired.

Hello! I’m Mary Vaughn and I work at the NM School for the Blind & Visually Impaired. I’m a TVI and very excited to learn more about teaching literacy!

Hi - my name is Patricia (Patty) D’Ascenzo. I am currently a TVI for the Allegheny Intermediate Unit in southeast PA. We serve students with visual impairments throughout the Allegheny County region. At the end of this school year I will be transitioning to a new role, Accessible Instructional Materials Coordinator for our program at the AIU. In this new role, I will be responsible for supporting my colleagues with professional development opportunities and direct student needs related to access.
I am super excited for this course. I find reading, more specifically the science behind reading, fascinating. As TVIs, I feel that we need to be more aware of how to support a child in their development of reading skills. In understanding their needs, we will be able to provide more supportive instruction.