Moving the cursor in keyword

I am trying to create a lesson to teach a pre-K student how to move the cursor. I have created a shape that looks like a box in keyword using colons and letter l’s. Is there a way for her to move the cursor in, on, under, and beside the box shape? I’ve tried touching the new location and double pressing the action button, but it isn’t working. Thanks in advance for any assistance :slight_smile:

The Braille Editor might be a better place for something like this! KeyWord doesn’t keep the braille formatting quite as well. Just spacebar to the right of and above and below your box, wherever you want the cursor to move, to create spaces for it.

I was hoping to be able to teach her to do the touch and double press the action button to move the cursor. Any ideas for that?

You can do that! Just spacebar around the shape - both on the sides and above and below, wherever you want her to be able to point and click - so that the cursor has a place to go. Similar to how a Word document works - if you don’t Enter to add new lines and then space through the lines, your cursor won’t go wherever you want it to in that area but just goes to the next line or the last place there was a space made for it.

The spacing around it should work and I agree that keyBraille may work better for this activity. I find with my student, it really does take practice to use just the pointer finger when doing point & click-- I know it can be hard to keep those other fingers tucked up. Also, it helps if they use a very light touch-- they can press to find the spot, but then need to soften a bit when they double click so the pressure of their finger on the display doesn’t interfere with the dots popping up for the cursor.

It’s a brilliant activity for helping a student to learn this skill - materials are easy to create, even for the student; it’s fun and engaging; there are endless combinations for practice.

Thanks for the information on touch and lighten up when pointing and clicking. She is very new to all things braille related and the hint will be helpful :slight_smile:

Have you had any success with this lesson? I have a 5th grade student who is having a lot of trouble finding her cursor on keyword and understanding how it moves. It gets lost in all the other braille dots as now she isn’t only required to scan one line of braille to find her cursor, but several lines. She often gets frustrated when she can’t find the cursor and will sometimes shut down. Any successes?
Thank you!