Flight Deck (Questions?)

Hi Amada,

I would not remove the membrane. It is not a quick thing to do and you do not want to expose the pens to oils from hands. I would be careful with baby powder as it could get into the keys or buttons.

I would try cleaning his hands and warming them up. work with him to adjust the pressure he is using. Maybe lotion?

Thank you I will try those suggestions, much appreciated.

I did a quick search and there is antiperspirant lotion for hands, feet and faces. I will try the washing and warming first and work on adjusting pressure and then later if needed might try this. Thank you again.

My student asked a question and wondered if the Monarch could be used a Braille display such as connected to a computer.

As I just completed my Monarch training today, one question that came up during my training from multiple people was whether or not the device could have a handle either on the devices or on the box itself. After this question was asked, I got to thinking. As a young teen, I really enjoyed the Victoria’s Secret bags that you could get after the Black Friday sale. I have a couple laying around, so I tried to put my device into one of the bags and it worked. One that is a similar size that you can get access to is two blind brothers. I will put a link to it here as well as a picture of the Victoria’s Secret bag that I tried to put my Monarch in.

1 Like

Hi all! I was wondering about this - I think an update was mentioned at our training (March, Baltimore) as well, but hasn’t been pushed out yet. Any idea when we can expect it, and do you know if the issue with external storage (USB drives, specifically) will be addressed in it? Thanks!

Thank you! This is what I learned - I was able to convert my Adobe pdf to Word, add the simbraille in word, then resave it as a pdf through Word. But I still found it finicky as far a carrying over the simbraille font. The first time I added the simbraille all in textboxes, and it didn’t carry over. However, then I added one simbraille word not in a text box, and then all the simbraille carried over including the words in text boxes. Not sure why, but this worked for me.

I wanted to give an update on this. For a while, I couldn’t find my Two Blind Brothers bag, but I found it this afternoon. The Monarch does in fact fit in the bag and for an added bonus, the charger and screwdriver will fit in the pouch that is attached to the bag itself.

1 Like

Can you explain why the math indicatos are edms and edme rather than the Nemeth Indicators? Thanks!

Hello everyone. I just wanted to share that I have had absolute consistency when using a USB C Hub with the Monarch rather than the more traditional USB-A port for a standard flash drive. Here’s the link from Amazon: (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BWDVK48C?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1)

I have been using the Monarch for computer science (i.e. coding) with success. It truly makes a difference to have multiline braille access.

5 Likes

Are there any braille transcribers in this group that have a Monarch?

1 Like

Hi all!
I’ve hit a snag (didn’t take me long LOL). My student used the Monarch yesterday and managed to turn simulation braille on for the external screen I am using. Can someone remind me what the key command is to turn this off?

Thanks!

Ha! It happens

Use space with O

Go to Miscellaneous

Uncheck Visual Braille Overlay

It is our hope to support Google platforms through the file browser down the road and also through the internet browser when available. But because this is not an officially certified device by Google, native Google Docs or Drive Android apps will not work on it.

Hello.

Those symbles are actually MathML tags to tell the device to convert whatever is typed in your preferred math braille code, to MathML, so it will be displayed correctly in print. They are actually not using the contracted “ED”, symbol but rather the computer braille $ symbol. So the format that you see is:

$MS (Math Start), followed by your braille math, followed by $ME (Math End)

I’m a braille transcriber and TVI.

My student had used a Geometry course review pdf in the Tactile Viewer that I had created successfully from a thumb drive. Today he went back to it but the Monarch only says Index. Nothing else shows. There is not an index in the file. We’ve done all the typical–restarted, tried other graphics, etc. Any idea what this means?

I can vouch for this bag! It is a fantastic tote.

I am a Braille transcriber (not UEB though) and TSVI

Hi all!

I tried connecting my Monarch to the internet last week following the directions provided at training. It did work, to a degree. I received a message that said “connected, limited connectivity.” It is an “open” network with no password. I was not able to access the TGIL, even though it said “connected”. The field tester Monarch I had in the fall connected without any trouble and did not have this message pop up.

I reached out to my IT team and we’re trying to figure out what this means in relation to the Monarch. This message has never popped up on any district laptops/chromebooks/macbooks.

Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice to give to the IT team?

I know it has something to do with the district internet and connectivity because I do not receive this error when I am using the Monarch on my home wifi.