Reflection/Analysis
Experiences
Teaching ideas or suggestions
Question(s)
Answers to others’ questions
Constructive and thoughtful replies to others’ posts

Is this where we post our activities?

Hi Regina,
I am working on an email that outlines exactly how to turn in your activities. We have a form for you to complete to turn those in. This would be a perfect spot to make your additional 3 discussion postings and anything additional that you want to share. I hope that you are enjoying working with the Monarch and I cannot wait to see what everyone shares!

Thinking about my activity and wondered if some of the Monarch folk might be able to help. I am especially interested in the tactile graphic component of the Monarch. I have introduced the device to several students, and I feel that the need to scroll through graphics will be difficult for younger or beginning tactile students. Not the scrolling itself (kids are LOVING the function of “scrolling”) but being able to put multiple 10x32 views together to create a cognitively connected understanding. Hope you see what I am saying. I would like to design a tactile graphic specifically for the monarch. So, let’s say I create a simple cell diagram with a few organelles. Then I create separate diagrams with each of the organelles. Is there a programming magic that would allow a student to click in the first diagram to indicate which organelle they want to know more about, and then it would link to and open the more detailed diagram of that specific organelle?

1 Like

From Willow:
This is something we want to include in a future update to the Monarch. For now, it is not possible. The best you could do is have multiple graphics within a single PDF and then the student could move easily between them. Note that each separate graphic should be on a separate page within the PDF. Part of adding this feature to the Monarch will be ensuring that there is a means for users to create such interactive graphics using external software. The feature will likely depend on SVG support since the “linking” aspect is possible with an SVG.

We are looking at multiple levels of zoom in a PDF for a future update but this update will come soon, probably the next update, or, at worst, the one after that. We basically want the user to be able to quickly jump between “overview mode” and “braille mode” but then to be able to incrementally zoom at different levels. With a JPG or PNG file, one can currently zoom incrementally at multiple levels since we cannot recognize the braille.

Hey there,
I’m a little confused how to turn in follow up activities. I see in the document on the USB drive. It says there is something we have to submit a form, but I can’t find that form. Am I missing some instructions somewhere? I am loving the monarch. it has been a wonderful experience for myself. However, my clients are getting even more out of it.

The submission form for follow-up activities.

I was thinking the same thing for the Periodic Table of Elements! It would be great to click on an element in the table, and it takes you to a graphic of the atomic structure and more detailed information.

I gave a presentation to the staff (all my coworkers) on the Monarch on June 5th. Long story short one of my co-workers made two videos of my presentation! One is 9 minutes and 40 seconds, the continuation is 35 minutes and 42 seconds. I want to submit this as one of my projects. I have found the form to submit the activity but how do I submit the two videos?

Hi Miriam,

I believe that I remember your email stating that the videos were in dropbox. There is a place on the form that you can put in a link to the videos. That is the easiest way to share. Please let me know if that does not work for you and we can set up a call to figure it out.

I will also respond to your email.

Stephanie

Stephanie, we need to set up a Zoom call. I do not know/understand how to download the videos from my phone to the discussion board or submit the presentation. I am working from home today.