Flight Deck (Questions?)

Nevermind. I found KeyUpdater. I thought there was an update coming right after our training, but the device says it’s up to date.

1 Like

Krystal,
I am glad that you found the answer to your question yesterday. As long as your device is connected to the internet, it should automatically update unless you have changed the settings. You can always navigate to key updater to double check.

Not at this time, but eventually.

Yes they will be on quota! The item information has not been listed yet though.

1 Like

Uhoh. My Monarch is not charging. When plugged in, it makes a beeping sound once and then the power button flashes red (while plugged in). The red button turned to the blinking (charging button) over the weekend, so I thought I was good. But 15 hours later it has no charge. I unplugged and plugged everything back in this morning and now it is flashing red again. It is plugged into a wall socket using the charger provided. Help! I have visits scheduled with students this week to use the Monarch!

Update–it now is turning on after repeated offs and ons–but battery is still only at 6% after overnight charging. But that is up from 4% so maybe it is now on its way?

Thanks for this update! Are you using the original charger and is it plugged directly into the wall?

Yes. It did eventually charge. Another strange glitch though–keyboard shortcuts will no longer work generally. I am having to go to context menu and activate all backspace or enter keyboard shortcuts from the context menu by hitting return. For instance, within the word processor, backspace M nor enter M work to begin a math equation or enter keymath. I have to enter space M to get to context menu and then hit those options from within there. Similarly, if I launch keymath, I cannot use “enter G” to graph, but have to go to context menu and enter from there. Is there something that has been turned off somewhere accidentally? The enter and backspace keys work normally otherwise.

It sounds like your braille grade has been switched to Computer Braille. When in computer braille, commands which use dot 7 and 8 will require you to also press the space bar. You can switch your braille grade back to a non-Computer Braille grade by pressing dot 7 + space + g.

Hello! I just wanted to verify. I had one of the TVIs I worked asked about bringing the Monarch to show it off to other TVIs at the Denver Braille Challenge. I wanted to ask to make sure. Was it that we are allowed to talk about it to others but they just don’t want us posting online about it?

Oh my goodness–Thank you, William. I must have hit that combination by accident. All is well at this point. The upside is that I have become VERY familiar with everything that exists on each context menu. Thank you all for your support. Perhaps a warning to all–don’t let the Monarch completely lose all charge. :confused:

When I press enter in keymath to continue solving the problem, it puts what I have in a list as if it is completed; I can’t remember or find a command for this. I’d like the student to essential show their work, similar to the attached image.

I did try to access Google by going to All applications then opening Lightning but I then get a Warning Connection to this site is not secure: - date of certificate is invalid Proceed anyway? message.

I am not sure, but I think you may want to use the Word Processor and “insert math” instead of using the KeyMath app? When a student is in the word processor, “enter plus M” enters math and then a student can do math much like when using a notetaker. When done, “backspace M” takes the student back out to the word processor and out of math. Someone telling me if I am thinking incorrectly about this.

You are correct. The Math app is a calculator. If you want to show multiple lines of step by step, I would use the word processer. Remember, when you insert math it will have math indicators around it. And you may need to go into print preview mode to see it on the visual display correctly.

· You can insert math into a Word Processor doc Enter with M

· Type the math and press enter

· Indicators will appear around your inserted math

· “edms 2+2=4 edme”

· Math is SimBraille on the visual display unless you enter print preview mode Enter with V

· This is similar to Math Type in Word

· You can keep adding lines to show each step

~WRD0000.jpg

Has there been any more discussions about using Google Apps with the Monarch? This would be a huge benefit.

It is our hope to support the Google apps. At minimum you will be able to access the Google apps via the web browser, but because the device will not be officially certified as a Google device, by Google, we cannot preinstall the Google apps nor use the GooglePlay store.

1 Like

Great question! I work for two school districts Boise totally G Suite and using nothing but Gmail, Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Google Meet and Google Classroom which is what I use as a TVI to teach my braille readers and what they use to access all materials in gen. ed. via BNT. The other Hillsborough totally Microsoft, Outlook, Word, OneDrive and TEAMS. It would be so wonderful if the folks at Humanware would consider producing guidance on the use of the Monarch with either of these commonly used applications. I am hoping Google and Microsoft will be accessible if anyone can help with these with step-by-step directions and screenshots as well as YouTube videos that would be so wonderful:)!

1 Like

Can we request the option to change the line thickness/shape/style when graphing?
Additionally we need to have some options for labels of intersection points, the touch function is nice but subjective and has a large margin for error given the thickness of lines.

7 Likes

Another question: I uploaded a premade worksheet, Word with MathType equations, and all of the equations are showing up as question marks versus equations. Any ideas of what is happening there?

1 Like