Week 2: July 7-13

What Does Research Tell Us About Teaching Reading to English Language Learners?
Question: How practical and feasible are these suggestions in real classroom contexts?
Answer: Of the 7 instructional suggestions, I agree without comment with 3; those being

• Use cognate words in the native language as synonyms when teaching vocabulary
  • Identify and clarify difficult words and passages
  • Find appropriate ways to use the native language
    The remainder, I believe, would benefit from enhancements.
  1. “Provide additional work on English phonemes that are not present in the students; native language.” In the classroom it would benefit both ELLs and native English speakers to explain the differences and show possible misunderstanding (depending on age and skill of student). Teaching the difference, and the ‘how’, allows the child to make connections within the learned language.
  2. “If students are literate in their native language, focus on differences between that language and English, with less attention given to elements that will transfer.” I disagree somewhat. Transferrable skills is essential in the classroom. Explicitly teaching students which skills are needed as they will be able to control more of their learning through application. When working with MLL VI students, it is important to focus on transfer skills that are part of both languages AND unique to each language. In essence, I think that transfer skills should be identified and enhanced regardless of whether the student is just learning the skill or needs reinforcement.
  3. “Provide extra practice in reading words, sentences and stories.” I mostly affirm this but would add encourage students to alter given sentences with expanded vocabulary and/or text structures to deepen and anchor understanding. By manipulating new learning, student gain deeper and more lasting understanding.
  4. “Consolidate knowledge of the text through the use of summaries.” Again, I agree with the enhancement that highlighting key words/phrases (depending on age and skill level) in a summary of a text when teaching vocabulary or comprehension is relevant. When teaching grammar, highlighting the parts of speech being learned can assist with comprehension.
    All of these suggestions are good, and I agree with the author that we need further research (Can I get a grant to do some?) When applying these suggestions to students with a visual impairment, the enhancements gain increased value in the braille learner that is also an MLL.

Text to speech is a wonderful support!

I answered this question for my thread as well. While most of these suggestions are ideal, you are correct in that they all look different according to languages spoken - especially non-latin based. In my current district we have 4 common languages - three of which are latin-based so that learning looks very different from our Turkish students. I think shear exposure is helpful - like posters/phrases in several languages around the school. All kids are getting exposed and subconsciously making connections. It is difficult to teach to myriad languages - I don’t know what I would do without Google translate.

About two years ago I suspected one of my blind students had a reading disability. I knew it was a form of dyslexia, but like you had to learn a lot more before asking for the right help. I was dismissed. I kept pressuring the classroom reading teacher to refer this student for the same tests used for students with reading difficulties. That too was dismissed. It wasn’t until I obtained the tests and administered them before I could get someone to review what I had gleaned and what they could gain. It is frustrating when those in charge believe vision loss is the reason for reading problems. We all need to collaborate. I plan on using the simulation in the future if this should arise again.

Thank you for your post. That’s interesting what you said about working with the family from China. I met a paraeducator who used to be a high school teacher in Japan and he said students with disabilities are kept in a classroom/school apart from the regular mainstream schools. There’s just no integration, likely for similar reasons that you were describing. Obviously, a language barrier makes it hard to communicate and get connected with resources. I’ve also found it a challenge to develop a trusting relationship with families of students of a different culture.

Thanks for sharing that video. I read the transcript. I think the gist of it, was that with proper intervention, the brain can compensate and find different pathways to make reading possible for individuals with Dyslexia. That said, there seems to be many interventions and reading programs out there that have shown to be effective. I personally know several individuals and families who have struggled with dyslexia, and with diligent practice, have been able to overcome it and become fairly proficient readers and writers. But that said, it takes a lot of work.

1. Reflecting on your own experiences as a student, how did teacher expectations influence your academic performance and motivation? How might you apply these insights to your own teaching practice?

I am a firm believer that may success, particularly in my high school years was directly related to how I felt about myself in the classroom, and the relationship with the teacher that was or was not present. I still remember the subject of math, was much more difficult for me in higher grades, because I did not feel confident. I can relate that almost exclusively to the way in which I was taught, especially in higher math. My teacher may have had high expectations, but the delivery of that instruction created an “unsafe” learning space for me. Questions asked by students, appeared to be signs of weakness, and there was no collaboration, or exchange in dialogue between the teacher and students. Simply straight up teaching from the text to the student. This, compared to my biology teacher, who collaborated with students, and made each and every student feel like they could excel, made all the difference to myself and others. We were part of the instruction, and active participant. I always tell my colleagues, the student needs to show me that they cannot do the task, before I ever would think about changing my expectation. I may take a step back, to fill in a gap, but the student does not feel the weight of that. Children need to feel lifted, not the opposite. I was convinced that I would do my best to not make students feel powerless in their education.
I enjoyed reading Are you Communicating High Expectations? By Douglas Fisher and Nancy Frey. One of the things I liked most was the validation that video clips of work with students can be a most valuable tool to use when thinking about your own practices as a teacher. Seeing that the authors offered this as a suggestion, gave me validation.
For a long time, I have made short video clips (with parent consent of course😊) of my work with student. I do this because it helps me see what the learning looks like, but more importantly, what the “instruction” looks like. When We teach, or at least for me, I am focusing on the intentional instruction and delivery. I am not always able to see the moments that may give me important feedback myself, and why it may have looked different than I expected. I have found it very helpful. In truth, this really started out as my way of documenting progress, and giving family short moments to carry over teaching when the student was home. After reaching out to a colleague whom I have the utmost respect for, she suggested I do this when I was asking for feedback on a strategy with a blind student. I have continued to incorporate this observation of work with student into my work.
High expectations are empowering. From personal experience, I know that the impact can be great. In watching the video, I loved how the students supported one another, and their dialogue with one another was equally great to see. It appeared to be a true partnership between students and teacher, resulting in a positive learning experience.

I related to all that you said in your post about cultural background and socioeconomic status and the impact on a families ability to work with their child and implement what is modeled in the home. I too, work with early intervention students (birth to 3) as part of my role, and each family has very unique needs. Part of that is based on these factors. We must meet a family where they are, and sometimes, or even many times, we are unable to watch progress happen, due to these circumstances. I am fortunate to work in a county where we can purchase, loan, and or do both for our students, with an active IFSP. We must also be sensitve to the fact that many of our families are highly sensitive to asking for help, and to showing us their true situation. If the family is in need of a light up toy for example to assist with cause and effect as well as visual skills (in certain situations), I have a bag with an item that I can model. We can then try to simulate the same thing with something already in the home, and if not, I leave the item with them. These early years are of greatest impact. I also consider the fact that the family has "allowed " me into their home, to work with their child, and I consider it a privilege. As you stated, going into the home is very different than going into a school building. SInce exposure to visual stimuli is an issue of access first, that lack of exposure is often compounded by language barriers, economic status, as well as the cultural component. These additional circumstances make it more difficult, but as we are all finding, can be addressed. It just makes our job so much more challenging than it already is.

1. How might the cultural background or socioeconomic status of families impact their ability to implement the suggested strategies for promoting emergent literacy in toddlers with visual impairments?

Cultural background and socioeconomic status can both impact the ability to implement strategies that are suggested to promote emergent literacy in toddlers for many reasons. Depending on cultural background or past experiences, families may not be willing to have professionals come into their home to provide services and they may not be sending their children to daycare or prek, so some families aren’t even receiving strategies. For those that do, they may have their own literacy barriers that prevent them from being able to promote literacy in their home. They may not have access to books or puzzles that could be used for these activities. They may not have the privilege of being near a public library or feel safe going to a public library. There are so many factors that play into why families do or do not implement strategies. It is our job to try to meet them where they are at and work with them on how they can promote the literacy strategies that we know are important, while being sensitive to what their background is as well.

I love your point about the time constraints and asking a gen ed teacher (in this case your husband) for opinions. I have worked with some teachers who want to “throw the book” at the classroom teacher. While I believe I am a strong advocate for my students, I too try to think about what things are realistically able to be done. If there is something that the student truly needs, but I don’t think can be done when I am not there, that needs to be a team discussion as well.

Prior to viewing the module video, what were your assumptions about Dyslexia? How did the simulation activity change or contribute to your understanding of Dyslexia?
Prior to viewing the module on dyslexia, I understood it to be brain-based, though not the specifics. I appreciate the understanding of specifically how dyslexia impacts reading, the specific aspect of reading. I also appreciate the comments and discussion around the fact that dyslexia can exist along with visual impairment. Not so many years ago, we were instructed to use visual impairment as an “exclusion” to criteria for a student to have a learning disability. In the resources, Marnee Loftin’s recommendations of what to include in an evaluation for dyslexia for a student with a visual impairment I find useful. Also, the signs to watch for in a student with visual impairment is similar to those for a student without a visual impairment. These are good references for us as we support and collaborate with our professional colleagues who may be conducting these evaluations.
The simulation activity was a good one to illustrate how taxing reading can be for a student with dyslexia. Even though the key was present, the back and forth was tiring and retaining the significance of the text was very difficult. The fatigue factor was evident. No wonder avoidance behaviors can be witnessed with some students with dyslexia.

1. Reflect on the seven specific suggestions provided for teachers of reading classes with ELLs. How practical and feasible are these suggestions in real classroom contexts?

This question and content is specifically interesting to me as my undergraduate degree was in TESOL (Teaching English as a Second Language). Most of the
“go-to” strategies for teaching ELLs are often not accessible for students who are blind/low vision. For example, using visual aides is not useful, nor is using TPR (unless doing it together/with student).

*Provide additional work on English phonemes that are not present in the students’ native language.
-Yes, possible. Would require teacher to know about student’s native language. I have never seen this done before as Arizona pushes for English-only instruction.

• If students are literate in their native language, focus on differences between that language and English, with less attention given to elements that will transfer.
    -Possible, again, requires teacher to know students native language. I have personally never seen this used, but may be useful for VI students.
  • Provide extra practice in reading words, sentences, and stories.
    -Yes, teachers already do this all day and is a practical suggestion.
  • Use cognate words in the native language as synonyms when teaching vocabulary.
    -Useful and feasible. Again, requires teacher to know native language.
  • Identify and clarify difficult words and passages.
    -Yes, practical. This is common-sense.
  • Consolidate knowledge of the text through the use of summaries.
    -Yes, practical and useful.
  • Find appropriate ways to use the native language.
    -Same as all above comments (teacher must know native language).

Overall, these suggestions were very unhelpful as they rely heavily on the teacher knowing the students native language. Also, this article suggests that the state/district/school values bilingual education. Although bilingual education is incredibly beneficial, I have not seen many schools have a bilingual program due to lack of certified staff, funding, resources, etc. as well as teaching to the test (AZELLA here in Arizona).

What I really like about your response is that you are giving the barriers, but also solutions. It is such a great point that literacy can be taught with items that are easily available! It is clear from your experiences that you are very dedicated to helping all of your students!

Patricia, I had just made a similar comment! It seems like almost all of these suggestions are based on the teacher knowing each individual student’s native culture and language. This would be an impossible expectation to hold for teachers!

I, too, recognize the struggle our students may be going through when trying to read while having dyslexia. How fatiguing. I liked Marnee Loftin’s comments that the signs to watch for in our students with visual impairment are similar to those for other students. She offers useful suggestions to evaluators, suggestions I’m happy to be aware of and can offer to my colleagues who do the evaluation for dyslexia.

Claire-

I love your rose, bud and thorn practice! I also employ this strategy in my teaching and find it useful in setting high expectations as well as progress monitoring for students. Students often have very honest and funny responses to these, and it also helps with building rapport.

Promoting Emergent Literacy Skills (JVIB, 2018, p. 542-550)**

1. How might the cultural background or socioeconomic status of families impact their ability to implement the suggested strategies for promoting emergent literacy in toddlers with visual impairments?

The environment suggested in the article focuses on incorporating language development strategies at home. I agree with this concept. But, sometimes the parents aren’t fully on board with this concept. I work in a rural county where many of my parents are actually “Grandparents” to my students. They are old school and seem to expect the teachers and Paras to “teach” the child. I try to send information and materials home with detailed descriptions of how to use it, but it doesn’t seem to get used. This seems to always be a struggle. I make tactile story boxes using books to the student’s interest to make it more inviting for home activities. I meet with the “Parents” quite often and demonstrate the materials to make sure there is an understanding of how to incorporate the pre-emergent reading strategies throughout their day. Socioeconomic status and cultural backgrounds play a significant role in progress and can impact their ability to implement the use of child-directed experiences, as far as I can tell.

The point of sharing with others that visual impairment and dyslexia are not mutually exclusive is a good one. In the past, we were not allowed to consider the two together for the same student. There would be those students, though, who you knew have “something else” beyond a visual impairment that impacts their reading. I’m happy this is all changing for the betterment of student service, though not yet for everyone. I like the simulation and will keep for demonstration, when needed, to make the point of how important dyslexia is to address.

I really enjoyed reading your response to this topic. One of the reasons I really enjoy teaching visually impaired students is the fact that they really need tactile, adapted “stuff”…LOL. I am old school with my thoughts and I really like how you said you use pie pans, wooden spoons, pom-poms, etc… throughout your day to model to the parents “how” to follow through with lessons you provide. I think sometimes many teachers rely too heavily on technology focusing on apps and other items to learn these concepts. Don’t get me wrong, I do incorporate technology along with my old school ideas, but I have learned throughout my years of teaching the tricks in the bags seem to work the best and parents seem to understand it the best. Thank you for you’re response!

Are You Communicating High Expectations? (Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development, 2022)

1. Reflecting on your own experiences as a student, how did teacher expectations influence your academic performance and motivation? How might you apply these insights to your own teaching practice?

When I was in school, the effort I put into my classes reflected on the effort the teacher was putting forth with the lessons. I did slack off in some of my classes because I felt the expectations were never that high. I have terrible geography, social studies, and history knowledge because these are the classes I had a terrible low expectation teacher in! After thinking about this question, it does make a huge difference in how the teacher formats lessons etc… within the classroom.
Working with my students today, I make sure they understand my expectations for each lesson. I am in a consult position but the students I pull from class to work one on one with know what to expect before we even start a lesson. I enjoyed learning more about myself using the Self-Assessment Checklist. I think I will incorporate this checklist as I work with my students this year. Providing options, using their interests, and designing lessons that are geared toward each student individually will reflect even more of the expectations for my students.