Week 2: July 7-13

What Does Research Tell Us About Teaching Reading to English Language Learners? (Reading Rockets, ND)**

Reflect on the seven specific suggestions provided for teachers of reading classes with ELLs. How practical and feasible are these suggestions in real classroom contexts?

As I was reading through these 7 suggestions provided for teachers of reading classes with ELLs, I kept thinking of my totally blind Braille students. I kept meandering through thinking how similar these concepts are with teaching Braille to our students. Provide additional work on phonemes, being literate in their own language. I like to use the word “visualization” with my Braille students. I feel that these 7 strategies integrate with my concept a little bit. When reading a book, I have my students reiterate what they just read. I usually do this after each paragraph. We discuss colors, styles, positioning of characters, smells, sounds etc… that was mentioned in that paragraph or page they just read. So many of my students are behind on comprehension strategies and this really seems to help them think about what they just read. It’s really fun to see how they progress through the book by visualizing so much. I also gain knowledge as to how they are thinking about the context of some of the descriptive words. This is what I got out of this article. I agree with many of my colleagues also about how native languages are a base to understanding concepts. If we don’t understand the native language, it seems it will be difficult to progress with the English language.

Dyslexia

1. Prior to viewing the module video, what were your assumptions about Dyslexia? How did the simulation activity change or contribute to your understanding of Dyslexia?

Before watching the video, I always thought Dyslexia was a brain processing disorder. I never thought of it as genetic. I knew how it affects identifying individual letters and difficulties with phonemes which affects reading comprehension and fluency. After viewing the video and seeing the simulation to see the time it takes and the frustration it must develop to read a simple sentence. I can understand why they want to give up and shut down in the classroom. I always wondered if teaching Braille to students with dyslexia would help? I sometimes think if stimulating the tactile sense within their nervous system would allow them to visually see the letters etc…?? Maybe someday I can complete a study on this.

I like your response to the Dyslexia conversation. I feel the same way. I have a 4th grade student who is learning Braille and using a CCTV due to macular degeneration but it seems like there is so much more going on with him. When he reads the Braille he is very successful. When reading off the CCTV, he reverses many of his letters and can hardly read a sentence but yet, he is identifying the letters on the page. We are all at a loss but he is progressing with the braille so we are moving forward on that for literacy. He is behind, but slowly catching up. But, it really blows my mind to wonder if there is a connection with his vision impairment and dyslexia? I am working with the Resource Room teacher and we are collaborating ideas and strategies for this student. But he is a very interesting student with very interesting needs. Thank you for your response.

1 Like

Promoting Emergent Literacy Skills (JVIB, 2018, p. 542-550)

1. How might the cultural background or socioeconomic status of families impact their ability to implement the suggested strategies for promoting emergent literacy in toddlers with visual impairments?

I will start this off by saying I identify as someone coming from a different cultural background than the majority of people I work with. I have worked with a variety of cultures around the world. I have friends and family from all walks of life. Therefore, I view this question from a different standpoint.

I think cultural background and socioeconomic statuses of families may provide some challenges, but it is also an opportunity to think outside of the box. It is important to remember that the cultural background being portrayed as uneducated, unaware, or not involved by society does not necessarily reflect the truth. Also, society portrays lower socioeconomic status as incapable of providing for their child or being uneducated. I feel people must address their feelings and expectations before speaking and working with families that fall into these categories. Knowing what society says affects the families because most of them are aware of what is expected of them. This right here can tie into the low/high expectations. Do families receive options for promoting emergent literacy in toddlers with visual impairments through various strategies? Are families criticized based on what they aren’t doing and how “wrong” it is? Are families welcomed and embraced for who they are, not what someone wants them to be?

So cultural background and socioeconomic status may provide an opportunity for creative ways to implement the suggested strategies for promoting emergent literacy in toddlers with visual impairments. I understand that families, across all socioeconomic ranges, may have tight schedules, but we can show them YouTube videos or other programs that they can play in the car or on the bus while traveling between destinations. We can encourage families to speak to their children using age-appropriate words and provide support or praise when they do. By incorporating self-talk or a literacy component like the “clean up” song or “What’s the Weather?” song, we can show families how to adapt routines. We can show how to grow their child’s syntactic utterances.

Encouraging families to get a library card and sign up for story time is important. If the family gets books, the child can turn pages and manipulate the book. We can encourage the families to sing nursery rhymes and fun children’s songs. We can show the family free resources to get books and even teach or help them fill out the application. Despite socioeconomic and cultural background, families can still share some of the more hands-on activities because it does not mean they are unwilling to or lack knowledge. In fact, some might be interested in doing what is “harder” or more “complexed”. It is important to show everyone, regardless of their cultural background or socioeconomic status, what they are capable of. We should provide them with ways to adapt their environment if they desire to do so. The instructor should keep an open mind and share everything the families can do. I believe that if we provide proper support, which focuses on their abilities instead of their limitations, it will make a difference.

1 Like

That is interesting that since we deal with neurological disorders such as CVI, one would think we could help with dyslexia. I wonder what the CVI/TBI experts would say to that idea. I wonder how you would explain the difference. I have had students come to me for vision support services when it was a reading issue. My supervisor told me that I would have to prove that it wasn’t a vision issue. I remember having the student spell words for me at 30 and 40 feet away. I think some may have been further. She couldn’t read “FIRE” but she could spell it along with other words in her environment. I was new to the field and I think I would have added more to my assessment but what I did was enough to show the team she needed help with reading and that her vision didn’t impede on her ability to see the words.

Thank you for sharing your experiences as I enjoyed reading it from the perspective of an individual with a visual impairment beginning in your early years. This year after drafting my thoughts for an IEP goal for an upcoming first grade student that is blind I actually had someone question me about it as they felt that my expectations were too high. When asked I replied, “You bet they are! The sky’s the limit as far as I am concerned!” Your post helped me to know that sticking to my guns was the way to go as I don’t ever want my student to feel in the future that we didn’t aim high enough for him. The video that we watched this week at the end of the Are You Communicating High Expectations article is exactly the type of classroom where I would love to see my students placed as the expectations were high for all- we can adapt that information if need be if too high- but giving all students that opportunity is key as far as I am concerned. As a side-note, the student responses of “I respectfully disagree” was a wonderful thing to see as the problem solving skills with respect were so wonderful to see!

Reflecting on your own experiences as a student, how did teacher expectations influence your academic performance and motivation? How might you apply these insights to your own teaching practice?

My teachers always had high expectations for me. I have a hearing loss and received special services, but despite that they expected me to perform along with the rest of my peers. One time when I was continually pulled out of a math class, I let my grade slip thinking I could get by with it. Very quickly, the expectations were put into place that even though I wasn’t there the work and learning was expected to be done. At the time I didn’t appreciate having to do all the work, but looking back, I am thankful for those expectations.

I have tried to carry this over into my teaching practice. I try to expect my students to perform at or slightly above their ability level. With some of my students with more significant needs, I will invite others to watch what this student is capable of. Sometimes it is difficult for others who work with the student to hold the same higher expectations. I have three brothers with intellectual disabilities. I have seen first hand what happens when someone doesn’t have high expectations for you, and it is doable, but sad not to see my brothers live up to their potential.

I have a son with a vision loss. There have been many of times after visiting with his teachers that I have questioned if he is really doing well or doing well for a ‘blind guy’. I hated wondering that but have found it difficult to tell with some teachers.

What stuck out to me was that cultural background and socioeconomic status is portrayed as uneducated, incapable for providing for their child, etc. I had never thought of it, but when I read it and thought about my perceptions, friends and co-workers, this is unfortunately true. I have found that when we get to know students and their families that the perceptions usually quickly change. But I think it is important to be aware of our perceptions so that we can change them before we meet the students and families. I also like your simple ways of incorporating literacy into student’s days that don’t take a lot of time or money - thinking outside the box!

Forehandc- Everything you spoke of was spot on and could most certainly occur in families. In a recent workshop I participated in one of the things that they stressed was the importance of including families (including extended family members when they are part of the family unit) in the classroom in any way possible. In reading each of your factors I kept thinking back to parent participation and how it could hopefully engage and help bridge the gap in a respectful way between school and home. This participation could be twofold in that it allows families to share their stories, experiences and cultural identities, while as the classroom teacher you can model the learning opportunities and provide follow through for home that will hopefully become an interest after seeing them in action in the classroom.

@Diane.Dohnalik I also like the simulation activity. I was able to read the activity, but it took time and was tiring.

In our district, a visual impairment continues to ‘exclude’ students from other services more often than it should. Especially as a student with a vision loss can also have dyslexia or other disabilities. Hopefully those references will help with future evaluations.

1 Like

Question 2:
Reflecting on your own experiences as a student, how did teacher expectations influence your academic performance and motivation? How might you apply these insights to your own teaching practice?
Going back to when I was in elementary/middle school, I had more teachers telling me they didn’t believe in me, rather than them telling me I could do it. My mom and dad are the ones who got me through those years. I specifically remember my 3rd, 4th, and 8th grade teachers just being very terrible to me. My parents were able to push me, regardless of what my teachers told me, and so when they told me I would flunk out of high school math, I overrode what me they signed me up for so I could take a higher math and science, and in high school, I had no problem making A’s. My high school teachers were very understanding, and helpful, and had those high expectations, without crushing my spirit, which I appreciated. I understand that every student learns differently, at different speeds, etc. So when I am teaching, I am constantly thinking about how to get through to them without making them feel like they have made mistakes, are stupid, or anything else demeaning. I think about giving breaks, if frustrated, making games if bored, giving a challenge if its too easy, and taking the time to get to know the students, their families, and interests so they know they can trust me to get them through any problem.

I am the same way, when it comes to applying this with my students. I expect my students to perform at or slightly above their ability level. Some students that I know can do it with little help I really push them forward. For those that need a bit more help I tend to (without dropping my expectations) guide them through items practicing, till they can achieve more on their own. I try to give them all the tools they need to be successful.
I am sorry you have to question some teachers whether or not your son is getting the proper instruction or not. I hate to say it, but some teachers really don’t care, I have seen it first hand going through elementary/middle school, but I have also witnessed it with students I have taught, that were struggling just to read, and they were in 4th grade. Usually if your child is learning and you are seeing growth, you shouldn’t have to question it. Hopefully your son is actually getting the academia he needs, and is not getting pushed along.

I love your post first of all! It is eye opening how many people just judge others because their child is acting differently then the other kids, or the child won’t look at you when they talk to you, etc. It is so important that you become aware of cultural backgrounds, religions (and their rules), socioeconomic background, etc. Some cultures believe its wrong to look at a superior in the eye when being talked to, depending on religion they may not believe is some science concepts therefore will never learn about it, or have their children learn about it, which could include some topics in early children’s books. The instructor should always keep an open mind, but should also always ask questions, find out what the student is comfortable with, what the families are comfortable with, etc. For example, I once had a 4th grade student who was incredibly smart reading on a 9th grade level, and he was a Jehovah’s Witness, if you are not aware of what that means, for him it meant not participating in any birthday celebrations, any holiday celebrations without permission, most field trips he missed. The only thing I remember him being able to be a part of was the fun day we had at the end of the year, because it didn’t relate to any religious holiday, or birthday. It was just a celebration for the end of the school year. When we had a story regarding those types of holidays or birthdays, I sent home a permission slip to see if he was able to join in or not. If he was able to he did, if not, it was okay, I would just have another project ready for him, with his choice of topic or with a different topic that was suitable for him that got a similar point across. The parents were always appreciative that I took the time to learn about it, and ask the important questions, instead of ignoring it, and playing dumb.

It is so important that all students, including those with a visual impairment, be held to high expectations. There are so many times that we have students that have paraprofessionals/1:1 aides that just do too much for our students. This can create a situation where the classroom teacher does not know what the student with a visual impairment really can do on there own and their expectations can be unrealistic. A different impact could be that the teacher feels “bad” for a student with a visual impairment and does not push them or want to make them feel frustrated. I think it is so important that we as TVIs provide inservice trainings and ongoing consultation around appropriate, high, expectations. When there is a paraprofessional it is important that they understand how to best support the student and review the 19 Ways to Step Back. I even keep the poster hung up where adults can see it.

I am so glad that you had great experiences in school and that you are now a TVI continuing to have high expectations for your students.

1. Prior to viewing the module video, what were your assumptions about Dyslexia? How did the simulation activity change or contribute to your understanding of Dyslexia?

Just so you know, I earned an endorsement in dyslexia from the University of Georgia after completing five semester-long classes. However, we didn’t cover dyslexia occurring with visual impairments. As a result of these classes, I knew that dyslexia is a brain-based disability where there’s a glitch in a child’s language system that affects phonemic awareness (Shaywitz, 2023).

Dr. Shaywitz from Yale’s Center for Dyslexia & Creativity offers an amazing and FREE course on Coursera about dyslexia which I delved into because I wanted to know the biology of dyslexia. In this course, she explains the three neural systems for typical readers and how functional MRIs have shown that dyslexic readers use different brain pathways than proficient readers, revealing a neural signature for dyslexia. It’s really fascinating that fMRIs can track blood flow in the brain to map both proficient and dyslexic reading! According to Dr. Shaywitz, the occipito-temporal part of the brain is where phonologic, orthographic, and semantic synthesizing occurs. A dysfunction in these systems prevents rapid, automatic word recognition —associated with dyslexia.

The simulation activity from WGBH Educational Foundation’s “Misunderstood Minds” (2002) really opened my eyes. It let me experience what it’s like to have dyslexia, making the challenges much more relatable. I saw how tough it can be to read slowly and struggle with word recognition, and it made me understand the frustration and anxiety that students with dyslexia must feel. This activity increased my empathy and highlighted the importance of using tailored strategies to support students with dyslexia.

1. According to the reading, in order to promote emergent literacy skills in toddlers with visual impairments, exposure is key. Exposure to not only braille, but tactual exploration of objects within their environments. This is not just through adult description because the young learners have no context/ background knowledge to draw from, so it’s working on building that understanding. It’s a lot of hands on with your child and using third person language. Early interventions or Individualized Family Service Plans which eventually will become IEP’s, will be helpful to assist parents/ guardians with guidance and help develop those emerging literacy skills.

When we look at the impact of socioeconomic status and cultural background, it can effect the young learner in various ways. For socioeconomic status, it affect the students learning because parents/ guardians may not have the resources to provide their young learner with the skills or know to start interventions at an early age. They may not have the time to devote or finances to provide what the learner needs. Ensuring the young learner has opportunities, it takes a lot of research to know what is available to you, parents/ guardians may not have access to a computer. What the family views as important is another component, there are some families that have very little, but still are able to provide their young learner with everything they need because it becomes a priority.
As far as cultural background, it really depends on the culture and how they view education. If the culture believes that education is important, but to what degree. Also, how do they view people with disabilities and their potential. Even if the young learner has a lot of potential to succeed, what the culture views as an important is key to their success. Language can be a barrier.

You’re completely right. I have had to work with teachers to not just let the “blind kid,” get away with something just because they have a disability. With a lot of explanation and constant problem solving, it really has made the students just like everyone else. The expectation to complete their homework, participate in class, and follow the classroom rules just like everyone else. Especially in the young academic years, because in life they won’t have a vision teacher to explain why something needs to be adapted or that they need. It will be up to them to advocate and work hard to prove they can do it just like anyone else. Hard work starts with high expectations at an early age.

That is unfortunate that you had that experience, but it seems to have made you a better and more understanding teacher. You can see how they feel from a different perspective and know first hand how to help them grow. That is wonderful to hear about your parents, because teachers will continue to change, but your parents will always be there to support.
It is important, as teachers, that we take our own challenges and relate them to the students. It not only gives us a different perspective, but can help get creative to finding what best helps the student.

After watching the videos, reading the articles and more research pertaining to this topic, the cultural and socioeconomic status of families greatly impacts the early years of all students, but especially the visually impaired toddler. Language and experiences are vital to understanding the world and being able to relate to what is presented in written and spoken text.

Families from different cultural backgrounds may have varying language practices and preferences. For example, some cultures emphasize oral storytelling, while others prioritize written texts. This impacts the type of literacy experiences toddlers are exposed to.
Cultural beliefs about disability can affect parents’ perceptions of their child’s visual impairment. Families that view visual impairment positively may actively seek out resources and interventions, while others might be more hesitant. Cultural norms related to parenting, communication, and education influence how families engage with their visually impaired toddlers.
Socioeconomic status can also limit experiences and resources that promote literacy. The caregiver may be faced with financial stress, long work hours or lack of access to quality resources that are affordable, like vacations or extracurricular activities. As teachers of the visually impaired, we need to work with families to encourage them to provide a rich literacy environment at home. Providing resources, materials and ideas.

1. Reflecting on your own experiences as a student, how did teacher expectations influence your academic performance and motivation? How might you apply these insights to your own teaching practice?

As a student, I felt I was very aware of how my teachers and their expectations influenced my academic performance and motivation. I felt the need to do well to make my parents and teachers happy. I can look back now and reflect that the higher expectations placed on me increased my effort and the lower expectations placed on me decreased my effort.

In my own teaching practice, I have spent the past ~10 years as a TVI/COMS developing my own expectations for myself and my students. I have shifted positions a few times over those 10 years and I have continually changed my expectations based on the students I am working with.

In connection to the Fisher and Frey article, “Are You Communicating High Expectations?”, I found it interesting and helpful that the authors defined the do’s and don’ts of high and low expectations. I know that as a fairly novice teacher I have much more learning to do and am willing and able to take constructive suggestions from my mentors to improve my teaching practices. I plan to use the high-expectations self assessment checklist this upcoming school year to help guide my teaching and set professional goals in regards to my students and the expectations I set for myself and them.