Configuring a Spanish Language Profile

Hello All, I am trying to configure a language profile so that our library patrons who speak Spanish can have equal access to the Monarch. I successfully chose Rosa as the TTS voice and selected Spanish Method 3 as the preferred Braille grade. When I switched the Monarch to that language profile, however, the Braille menus and documents on the Monarch are still displaying in English, and Rosa is speaking English with a Spanish accent. What am I doing wrong? How do I ensure that our Spanish speakers have the same access to the Monarch in their language as we do in English?

Good morning, Elizabeth,
I am sorry that you are having some difficulty with Spanish. The Spanish 3 braille code is in the English menu. I believe that code is meant for translating foreign language textbooks. When I selected Spanish and Espanol Duxbury grade 1 in the literary braille table, my Monarch translated the menu items into Spanish verbally, however they still display visually as English on the device.
I did notice that the visual display did not change, but the device switched codes and audio output.
@jrwheeler4718 Can you help us with selecting the correct braille code? I am not a transcriber :slight_smile: and I would love to know if we are on the right track.

Good afternoon, Stephanie and Elizabeth!

I am happy to help. This is how you can get the most Spanish out of your Monarch that is available right now:

1. Choose a voice (I think you have already completed this first step)
    a) Go to the Options menu (Space + O)
    b) Press Enter on “Configure language profiles”
    c) Press Enter on “Primary language profile” if this is the only profile you’ll be using, or on “Add additional language profile” and give it a name if you want one specifically for Spanish
    d) Press Enter on “Voice”
    e) Press Enter on “Manage voices”
    f) Press Enter on one of the following options: Add a voice or Select a voice to replace (if choosing the second option, press Enter on the voice you want to replace)
    g) Press S for Spanish, then press Enter on Spanish
    h) Press Enter on the Spanish voice that you want
    i) Press Enter on “Yes”
    j) Wait for the download and installation to complete
    k) Press Space + E a couple of times to return to the submenu that begins with the item “Language profile name”

2. Change your literary braille table to Spanish
    a) Locate the item “Literary braille table” and press Enter
    b) Press Enter on English
    c) Press S for Spanish, then locate “Spanish Method 3 US” and press Enter
    d) Check to make sure that your literary braille table item now says “Spanish Method 3 US” (if not, complete steps a-c again)
    e) Check to make sure that your preferred braille grade for entry and preferred braille grade for display in this list both say “Literary braille” (if not, press Enter on either or both of those items and press Enter on “Literary braille”)
    f) Check to make sure that your preferred braille type for math is what you want it to be (UEB or Nemeth)
    g) Press Space + E a few times to return to the submenu with “Configure language profiles” as the first item in the list
    h) If the item “Select language profile” does not have the name of your newly configured Spanish profile, press Enter on “Select language profile” and then press Enter on your Spanish profile
    i) Press the Home button to return to the Main Menu

Your menus will still be in English, but they should now be uncontracted, and it is true that your Spanish voice will read the menu items in English with a Spanish accent. However, if you go into the Word Processor (KeyWord), you will be able to type in Spanish with the Spanish accent contractions and the Monarch voice will read what you have typed aloud in Spanish.

Right now, that is the best that is available. However, the APH and Humanware development teams are working on translating the menus into Spanish and French, with other languages eventually available, so before long you should have everything that you need.

If you want to quickly go back and forth between a Spanish language profile and a primary or other language profile, you can press Enter + L. This will take you to your list of language profiles and you can press Enter on the one that you want to move to.

Please let me know if this is helpful or if you need additional assistance.

Jenny

Dear Jenny and Stephanie,

Thank you so much for your responses. I really appreciate it. I did follow the instructions as described and it is great to also have them written out here as well. I’m also excited that a fully bilingual approach will be coming to the Monarch soon. I am training our staff members and one of them facilitates a Spanish program and is eager for our Spanish patrons to learn how to use the device in their own language.

Do keep me posted.

Best,

Liz

1 Like