Using the Monarch to access Bookshare

Has anyone had luck downloading books from Bookshare to the Monarch? If so, please share! I have been able to get this far:

1. visit bookshare on my computer to search for and assign a book to a student
  2. Open bookshare on the Monarch using the Victor Reader App
  3. Go to My History, where I can see the book
  4. From here I can select “download” but then nothing happens.

*Are we supposed to be downloading the BRF file to use with the Monarch? Or EPub or Word?

Any help or success stories (with step-by-step directions please) would be so helpful!

I got to the same part as well. I click download but then it never downloads. I ended up connecting it to my computer and dropping the book into the folder. This worked fine but I didn’t have luck directly on the Monarch.

1 Like

This is intriguing. During the training session at ATIA, I was made aware of something. Are you using the student login details or your teacher’s account when accessing Monarch? I heard there might be limitations for downloading books with the teacher’s account, but I’m unsure of the accuracy of this information.

If the above isn’t the issue, could you please provide me with the title of the book in question so I can investigate further? Monarch supports BRF, EPUB, and Word formats, so that shouldn’t be the problem.

This is logging in with my teacher account.

I ended up opening the .brl file from a usb drive (in Key Braille) and saving it. When I opened the word file in Key Word, the whole thing doesn’t open, just the first few lines.

I was using my account. I will try with a student’s. I didn’t think to try that. Thanks!

I have had this issue as well (logged in as a teacher). But I have been able to download a couple. Others do nothing once I click the download button.

Im also having problems getting the books to download?

The team is also a bit confused here as when searching for books, you will often see the same results duplicated several times over. What we’ve noticed is some of those results show no “Download option”, and others have the “Download,” option immediately there at the top. For now check the multiple options in order as we are looking to understand the differences in these results, in the hope to be able to filter out only the ones you can download.

I have learned that we cannot download in our teacher mode, but this definitely promotes ‘individual accounts’ for our students!

I have been struggling to get books to download as well. I was using my teacher account though since I do not have my student’s logins and the student couldn’t remember their information. I will try tomorrow with their account and see if we have a different result.

I am also having difficulty downloading books from Bookshare onto the Monarch. First of all, I do not understand why Bookshare is under the Victor Reader app. It seems to me that instead it would be better to put Online Services on the Main Menu rather than assume you know to go to Victor Reader first then Bookshare. From “Online Services” there would be Bookshare, Victor Reader, etc. Am I missing or not understanding something here? I will deal with one issue at a time. Can someone elaborate for me?